Wednesday, January 24, 2007

I survived...my first lesson

I thought that I would let you know how my first "official" lesson went today. I think that it went okay...my cooperatiing teacher wasn't in the classroom, which I think helped me out a lot by not being very nervous. My cooperating teacher heard from the students that they didn't think that I was too bad of a teacher, so I'll take that as a compliment for now! :)
My students kind of frustrated me a little. I had handed out a couple of articles that I wanted them to have read by today yesterday, except that no one read them, so I had to give up class time so that they could read it...grr. The class that I taught was AP European History, and the student didn't know how to take notes without me writing every single word down on the board. I think what I'm going to do is write down a skeleton outline on the board before class that way they kind of know where I'm going with the lecture. I'll try it out on Friday when we met again as a class. Hopefully it will go a lot better. My teacher said that I was doing the right thing by not writing everything down, and that he had been doing them a disfavor by writing so much on the board for so long. Hopefully Friday will go a lot better and the students will be a little more comfortable with how I teach.

3 comments:

Nikki said...

Congratulations! That's a wonderful accomplishment that it went well :) Sounds like you have some great ideas on how to make things better, too!

Lynnea Vis said...

Wow, your first official lesson is now behind you! Sounds like it didn't go to bad either (the students don't know ho to take notes...in an AP course?? What is this world coming to?) I hope your lessons continue to improve as you get more comfortable and as the students get used to not being spoon fed everything!

Ruth said...

You sound like a great teacher already -- not that I'm biased or anything... ;-) Keep up the good work! Oh, speaking of highschool. It's been fun to get my younger sister's perspective on teachers. The kids hate the hard teachers, but they secretly respect them. Or at least, they will when they get to college! Funny how that works.