Sunday, June 29, 2008

China Days 12 & 13, day of nightmares

So, I'm suppose to be typing this from the Seattle Airport, instead, I'm still in Pudong, Shanghai, China. We left Xi'an , China on Saturday night and our train was SUPPOSE to arrive in Shanghai no later than 13:00 which would give us just enough time to find a taxi, run to Sarah's apt. grab her stuff and head to the airport. However, our train from Xi'an to Shanghai was delayed by 1/2 hour, which ment that we arrived in Shanghai at 13:30. We arrived at the airport exactly 1 hour before our scheduled departure and Air Canada would not let us check in...all because our train was a 1/2 hour late! Grr!!!! We were put on the standby list last night, which sort of ended up working out in our favor...finally!
We arrived at the airport at 9:00 am this morning in order to make sure that we were put on the flight from Shanghai to Vancouver. We get to the airport and Air Canada's booth doesn't open until 12:30, and the number they gave us yesterday was busy and they weren't answering any of the other numbers that we had been given. Talk about wanting to scream! Sarah is so ready to be back in the States and to see her family that David and I have taken control of everything in order to not have her yell at the Chinese people behind the counter. Mom, I'm glad that you taught me that I can catch more flies with honey than vinger!
We're on the 15:45 flight from Shanghai, and the best that Air Canada could do for us is to only get us on a flight to Vancouver, and no where else. Thankfully David's parents are coming up to Vancouver, so we don't have to worry about getting a flight back to Seattle. Poor Sarah, needs to fly stand by into Seattle and then into Minneapolis/St. Paul. I really hope that she makes it home still tonight!
I'm looking forward to being back in the States where everyone for the most part speaks English, is semi-polite, waits sort of patiently in long lines, and doesn't constantly try to take your picture. Sarah and David were sort of like celebrities around here with their blonde hair and blue eyes. Me on the other hand with my dark brown hair tended to blend in just a little more...which was a wonderful thing! :)
China has truly been an adventure that I will not forget, and I've learned a lot about traveling internationally. When I travel through Europe hopefully in a few years I'll just backpack it and not have to worry about luggage getting lost and there is just a little more English spoken there than it is here in China. So, if you're ever going to visit China, please ask me if you have any questions about how to travel in this country.

No comments: