Well, I'm almost adjusted to Chinese time! :) Today Sarah had her last full day of school, so David and I bummed around Shanghai. We tried to eat breakfast at KFC, but it didn't turn out so hot, so we ended up going to Starbucks across the hallway and eatting there. We did quite a bit of shopping...there are lots of interesting clothing stores and options here. We found a Pepis clothing and shoe store. It was kinda tempting to buy a pair of shoes that I knew no one in the States had.
We did the Metro on our own, thankfully there is an English translation in the Metro, so we were able to find things relativly easy. While we were in downtown some locals wanted to try out their English skills on us, and we were kind enough to let them...seeing how we needed directions from them. Toured the Shanghai Museum. If you know me, you know how much I love them. They had a special exhibit in from the London British Museum on the Greek Olympics. It was amazing to see some of the statues and pottery pieces that I've seen in textbooks up close and in person. Unfortunatly this was the only section of the entire museum that we weren't allowed to take pictures in. They had a lot of security guards in place making sure that people didn't take pictures. There were many cool and interesting exhibits also that I have pictures of. We ran into a few other Americans at the museum and it was interesting to hear where they've all been and what they recomind seeing.
David and I also did a local tea ceremony, it was very interesting. It was definately a once in a life time experience. But, I don't think that I'll repeat it anytime soon. Once is definately more than enough. Some of the teas were really good, and some weren't so hot.
We arrived back at Sarah's apt under the impression/hope that our luggage would be with her. I thankfully had a copy of her school address and her Chinese telephone number for our claim with lost luggage. Well...when we arrived back at Sarah's apt complex she's sitting outside with no luggage. :( Not good.
So, what do we do now? Well, being the typical hot-headed American that I am, we called up Pudong Airport and asked why our luggage hadn't arrived. They claimed that Vancouver never sent it over! Silly airport! So, we went shopping since we can't wear the same outfit two days in a row we went shopping! :) This is fun, but not when you need to buy a lot of clothes. As we're getting ready to leave the second store (there are no Targets, Wal-Marts etc. in China), Sarah recieves a phone call from the airport saying our luggage made the evening flight (which we were told yesterday there is no evening flight...but there is!). So, our luggage will hopefully arrive at school early in the morning. So, we get to experience our first Chinese taxi cab experience, and from what I've been told, it is an experience I won't soon forget! So, keep your fingers crossed that our luggae arrives at school!
No comments:
Post a Comment